Friday, April 19, 2013

camping with coffee.

It's the season for some serious camping! 
red river gorge 


Although the weather is getting warmer, coffee is still fitting for a morning 
WAKE UP 
in the woods.
I do a lot of camping all year round, I enjoy the great outdoors and couldn't enjoy these mornings when the sun comes up and my unbreakable french press is steeping my favorite coffee. 

Enjoy your morning ritual inside or outside! 

I want to share some of my favorite brewing mechanisms for camping ... convenient, easy, and non-breakable.  


Stove top espresso makers are really popular right now, and companies are coming out with new ideas for the same concept in a fashionable way. The best is the Primula brand, simple silver maker with the black plastic handle ... make sure you don't burn that off  :), creates quite a mess! Easy to pack and light, most of all made with aluminum and won't burn. No need to have a kettle!   




 Melitta is always great because of how easy it is! 
The plastic brewer and the slender box for filters is great for the outdoors. It is simple to clean ... literally dump the grinds and filter out and rinse the brewer. I usually take a kettle, which is the only bulky item I have to carry in my pack, but I also make sure that if I am packing a kettle my foods will require me heating water for more than my coffee. Fill your filter with coffee, I usually do 2 scoops per cup (but I like it a little stronger), saturate your grounds, let it drain through to your cup, repeat till you got a full cup of joe! Easy!



Percolators are old school coffeemakers. :)
My Grandmother has one that she uses on a daily basis, but they make great camping coffeemakers. Easy to function, and easy to clean, and easy to pack. It heats the water and makes coffee all in the same unit. Percolators are great when you have several people who want coffee in the morning, it makes more than one cup at a time. Watch the little knob in the lid ... because I have lost a few camping and it really is a pain to get a new one. You fill the mesh, infuser type basket with coffee and the carafe with water, sit it close to the campfire  (above) and let it steep. The boiling water will rise and steep the coffee and fill the carafe with fresh, hot coffee. 

A French press is another easy, delicious way to get your morning brew! 
Put the grinds in the bottom of the press and almost boiling water on top ... let is steep 5-6 minutes. Plunge the coffee and drink away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment